Monthly Archives: January 2014
- Why M82’s New Supernova Excites Astronomers
- Supernova Alert!
- Supernova in M82 Keeps Brightening
- Bright New Supernova Blows Up in Nearby M82, the Cigar Galaxy
- Hot News! Supernova in M82
- KABOOM! Nearby Galaxy M82 Hosts a New Supernova!
- Earth-shattering kabooms: A supernova in our lifetimes? Actually the forces involved are far beyond those available to Marvin the Martian. See Lethal Neutrinos.
- Bryan Gaensler, as I mentioned here, suggested some of the consequences:
Back of envelope calc: 106 [1,000,000] cubic parsecs fried by #M82supernova. Approximately 5000 earth-like planets wiped out.
“A world-class scientific-media screw-up”
From Matt Strassler.
Did Hawking Say “There Are No Black Holes”?
This is one of the responses by scientists to that media story. It is the snarkiest I have seen so far 🙂
How to Create a Golden Age
A really sobering thought….
From Bryan Gaensler:
Back of envelope calc: 10^6 [1,000,000] cubic parsecs fried by #M82supernova. Approximately 5000 earth-like planets wiped out.
The dirty secret behind ball lightning ….
This shows the role of luck in scientific discovery:
a team of researchers serendipitously observed ball lightning at a time when they had the right equipment to study it. Jianyong Cen, Ping Yuan, and Simin Xue were in the field measuring the properties of ordinary lightning when they happened to catch ball lightning with both their high-speed cameras and their spectrographs
Monday Night Irish Class, January 13, 2014
Irish Class, January 13, 2014
Rang Gaeilge, 13ú lá mí Eanáir 2014
Coming soon to Barnes and Noble
A Dolphin Hypothesis
This is what I would expect if the experiment were actually performed.
Roman Emperors, Up To AD 476 And Not Including Usurpers, …
… In Order Of How Hardcore Their Deaths Were
Not surprisingly, the Five Good Emperors all died of natural causes. But they are definitely in the minority.