Irish Class, July 28, 2014
Rang Gaeilge, 28ú lá Mí na Iúil 2014
Le Meas …
Part of our homework was to write “… a script for a short clip … to be used at a dating site! But it isn’t about you, pick a famous person, dead or alive.”
Here is my effort:
Dia dhuit! Inseoidh mé cupla rud fúm féin:
Is mise an captaen loinge réaltaí Enterprise.</i
- Is maith liom taiscéaladh domhan aisteach nua.
- Is maith liom cuardach saol nua.
- Is maith liom dul go dána go háiteanna atá ní fhaca aon duine sula.
- Is maith liom mná ó gach cine, daonna agus thar.
- Ní maith liom an Phríomhtreoir.
Le meas …. James Tiberius Kirk
Translation and notes
Hello! I will tell you a couple things about myself.
I am the captain of the StarShip Enterprise. [Long réaltaí “ship of stars.” (loinge is the genitive) I made this up. The closest my dictionaries had was spásárthach
“spacecraft,” which seems really inadequate.]
- I like exploring strange new worlds. [Domhan “world” follows the verbal noun taiscéaladh, so we actually have a genitive plural here,
which happens, as a “weak plural” to be the same as the nominative singular. A similar process affects the adjective”aisteach “strange.”]
- I like searching for new life.
- I like going boldly to places that no one has seen been before. [“go where no man has gone before” is apparently tricky to render in Irish.]
- I like women of every race, human and beyond.
- I do not like the Prime Directive
Respectfully …. James Tiberius Kirk
|brí||strength, vigor, significance, meaning, resolution||f4|
|líofa||ground, sharpened, fluent, eager, speedy||a|
|iasacht||lending, borrowing, loan||f3|
|teanga iasachta||foreign language|