Irish Class, October 24, 2011
Rang Gaeilge, an 24ú lá Mí Dheireadh Fómhair 2011
Will was out, so we joined Mary’s class for the
evening. Mary was also out at another class for the first 45-50 minutes. This was prearranged, and
JS and I had been asked to run the class in her absence. I was a little scared of this, but it actually was
We started with a drill based on chapter 44 of Buntus
Cainte. We practised the past tense forms, independent and dependent, of the teigh “go”, including
indirect speech, e.g.:
- Chuaigh sé go dtí an siopa.
- An ndeachaigh sé go dtí an siopa?
- Ní dheachaigh sé go dtí an siopa.
- Nach ndeachaigh sé go dtí an siopa?
- Deir sé go ndeachaigh sé go dtí an siopa.
- Deir sé nach ndeachaigh sé go dtí an siopa.
We read Perfecting
His Irish on the Job, and per Mary’s request, we copy-edited the Irish in the article. There were
several mistakes, e.g. the first greeting should be “
Cé hé Cén chaoi a bhfuil tú?”
|ar ndoigh||of course|
|Bhí sí ag deanamh bolg-le-gréin.||She was sun-bathing,||gréin is ds(!) of grian