Following up on Jammy Jellyfish and System Updates I have been using Tyrone, my newer Ubuntu 22.04 system, for my daily work. In doing so I found an issue with Firefox: The “Save page as” “Print/Save to PDF” commands were not working on that machine under Ubuntu. I tried various Firefox troubleshooting options, but they did not help. The commands work fine with Firefox under Windows, and also with Firefox under Ubuntu 22.04 on another system (Donegal), which, however is an upgrade from 20.04 rather than a clean install. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox
Back in August “I upgraded my Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) systems to 22.04.1 (jammy jellyfish).” At that time I noted:
I upgraded my Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) to 22.04.1 (jammy jellyfish), the current LTS release, last week. I simply followed the prompts from the Software Upgrader. The updates succeeded and the systems are completely useable, but there were a couple glitches.
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X130e laptop. It came with Windows 10 Home Edition, which does not work nearly as well for me as the Profession Edition I have on other systems. It hangs frequently. I have also installed Ubuntu Linux on it, which does better.
These days Chromebooks are everywhere, so I have become curious about Google’s Chrome OS Flex, the installation of which can turn an ordinary old (but not too old) PC into a Chromebook. Continue reading
Recently there were a few times when I was using VS Code under Windows and the response time got worse and worse. A reboot would fix it temporarily, but the problem would come back. A look at task manager showed that the Shell Infrastructure Host, sihost.exe, was using a lot of CPU. I thought about killing the process, but the dire warnings about system instability deterred me the first time.
By default, Windows assumes that the local system clock is set to local time, and updates it accordingly. Ubuntu Linux assumes that the clock is running UTC (essentially Greenwich Mean Time) and will update it on that assumption. Since it knows your location (you specified it at installation, and hopefully updated it when you moved) it will display the correct local time just like windows.
The problem comes when you have a dual boot (Linux and Windows) system. When you reboot from one OS into the other the new OS will assume the system clock is behaving according its own rules, even though the other OS was following its rules. To fix this:
As I wrote in September, my HP EliteDesk 705 G2 SFF desktop with an AMD PRO A4-8350B R5 processor was giving me messages about limited computer resources when using Zoom under Windows 10, though not under Linux. These sitll occur, even though I have added memory, taking it from 8GB to 24GB. This last time, I finally remembered to bring up Task Manager. It showed me that there was no memory problem, but that Zoom was using a lot of CPU. Why this occurs with Windows but not Linux is puzzling. For now I will have to have all of my Zoom sessions on that system under Linux rather than Windows.
I got a new 1TB SSD drive for Christmas. I used it to replace the 512GB drive that I had installed on my HP EliteDesk 705 G2 SFF system. That 512GB drive in turn went back to the old laptop I had taken it from. In both cases the copying was done by Macrium Reflect Free. There were no problems at all with the HP desktop, but the laptop refused to boot afterwards. So I got out my Linux USB boot repair stick and booted from that, ran the boot repair utility and everything was fine. Both Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux 20.04 booted cleanly.
So I now have two extra 256GB SSD drives. Don’t really know what I will do with them. For now they are mounted in enclosures with USD 3.x connections.
Having done a memory upgrade to my HP EliteDesk 705 G2 SFF system, it was time to add more storage. It came with a 256GB SSD, and I added the 512GB that I had taken from an old laptop. Since I was leaving the original drive in place and simply adding a drive, the process was much simpler than in the drive replacements I have done. The whole thing would have been trivial if I had put the new drive in an external USB 3 adapter. USB 3 is fast, but imposing the USB/SATA conversion would add some overhead, so I decided to open up the machine and make another SATA connection. There was a free SATA power connector inside, but I had to add an extension cable to reach any plausible place to put a new drive. Fortunately, there was a free SATA data cable already present. I put the new drive into a 2.5″/3.5″ mount, but there were no holes to screw it into the obvious place. This is a problem I have faced before, and I used the same remedy: Duct tape.
I have an old laptop which I do not use often. I had installed a 512GB SSD on it, but decided to replace it with a 256GB SSD so I could use the larger drive on a more modern system. Once again, I planned to used Macrium Reflect Free to clone the drive. This is a lot harder when you want to clone a larger drive to a smaller one. I had to delete my Linux partitions and shrink the Windows one with gparted on my Linux boot repair disk. My total space in use was well under 256GB but Macrium still objected. Examination revealed that I had forgotten to shrink the extended partition in which my Linux partitions had resided. So I fixed that. Still no joy. There was a big (>256GB) gap between the end of the extended partition and the last Windows partition. So I moved that partition inward to leave all the free space at the end. This finally satisfied Macrium Reflect Free and it was able to clone the drive.